Quick Facts About Mold and Remediation
It doesn't take long for a building to become infested with mold once moisture takes hold. A leaky pipe, rain in the attic, or a flooded basement could all lead to mold growth. Give those spores just two to three days and the entire property could be affected. If you live in an area of high humidity or have any other reason to believe mold is present in your Shenandoah, TX, building, you need to have the right facts to deal with the problem.
• Microscopic mold spores are everywhere, inside and outside.
• Spores are often airborne and may travel into your home through open windows or doors.
• Spores are likely to travel on your clothing, on a pet, or through the air conditioner or heater.
• Mold can grow quickly wherever there's water or moisture. If your indoor humidity is higher than usual, mold growth could occur.
• Sometimes a musty odor will help you locate problem areas.
Water Damage Facts
• The types of mold present in the building depend on the extent of water exposure. Long-lasting damage is more likely when excess water is allowed to sit.
• Water can lead to direct damage, such as swollen wood, and indirect damage, such as rotting wood. Water and elevated levels of humidity often lead to indirect damage through the growth of mold.
• Some of the leading causes of water damage (and mold) include broken dishwasher hoses, overflowing appliances, damaged pipes, clogged toilets, foundation cracks, and moisture behind walls.
• If you've found mold, stay out of the area, and don't allow anyone to disturb it.
• Turn off your HVAC and other fans.
• Contact a professional right away.
• Don't try to dry the area yourself and don't put bleach or other disinfectants on the mold. This may interfere with the specialized equipment professionals use.
• It's impossible to remove all mold, but remediation experts can bring mold levels back to appropriate levels.
Professionals can advise you about mold prevention. Whether you're recovering from mold growth or looking for ways to protect your Shenandoah, TX, property, area professionals can put you on the right path.