Houston Home Health: 7 Halloween Safety Tips
Prevent fire damage and injury this Halloween with these safety tips from SERVPRO of The Woodlands-Conroe, your locally owned and operated SERVPRO in Houston. During the holiday season, we see an uptick in damage caused by fire. Holiday decorations, overloaded electrical circuits, candles, turkey frying, and other activities increase the fire risk this time of year. Enjoy the season, just do so safely.
- Flame Resistant/Fire Retardant Costumes. Today, ready-made costumes are required to be made from nonflammable materials or treated with flame retardant. However, it is important to recognize that home-made costumes are not treated, and heightened precautions should be taken. Many household items, clothing, hats, wigs, and other accessories for costumes can be highly flammable. Be sure to consider the dangers when designing a costume for your child. Remember that long-flowing costumes are a risk for catching fire on candle-lit Jack O’ Lanterns and other decorations. Safety first! If your little ones will be trick or treating this year in the neighborhood, incorporate reflective strips into the costume, and make sure all trick or treaters have a flashlight so they are visible to traffic.
- Street Safety. In addition to having costumes that are visible to traffic, it is imperative that children understand to cross streets only at corners and to obey all traffic signals and crosswalks. It is highly recommended, particularly after dark that all pedestrians make direct eye contact with drivers prior to walking across the street to help ensure a safe crossing.
- Stick With Houston Neighborhoods You Know. While it may be tempting to trick or treat on the other side of town, it is wise to keep close to home on Halloween. Walk on the streets and paths you and your children know well, and where you recognize your neighbors.
- Follow Neighborhood Protocols. Of course, everyone wants to get out there and collect their treats as soon as possible. Remember to trick or treat during accepted hours – typically 5:30 – 9:00, and only visit homes with front porch lights that are on. Additionally, respect homeowner’s properties by sticking to sidewalks and paths; stay off the grass whenever possible and don’t disrupt landscaping or personal items.
- The Great Candy Check. Today, it is vital that prior to eating any of the treats that all of the candy is examined. Check to make sure all treats are sealed, and consume only store-bought treats provided by strangers. Look for any pinholes, resealed candies, or other causes for alarm.
- Decorations at Home. If you are decorating your home for Halloween, use best fire safety protocols to ensure a safe holiday celebration. Remember that many decorations are inherently flammable (crepe paper, cardboard, sheets, etc.) and that they need to be kept away from any open flame candles, Jack O’ Lanterns, space heaters, or other sources of heat or flame. The last thing you want is your locally owned and operated Houston SERVPRO’s expert team of fire restoration technicians in your home for the holidays! We do stand at the ready in the event fire damages your home, but we’d prefer safe celebrations throughout Houston this year.
- Keep Pets Secured. Halloween can be quite stressful for pets. The constant stream of people at the door, the eerie noises, and scary costumes can scare pets causing them to dart out the door. Sadly, there are also nefarious people that prey on pets during Halloween, and it is best to keep them safely secured in a room in your home during the festivities. If you have cats or dogs remember that they can easily knock over candles causing a fire in your home; make sure candles are out of the line of pets and children, and test all smoke detectors prior to trick or treating/party hours. Also, remember that chocolate is toxic to dogs and all candy and treats should be kept out of their reach.
SERVPRO in Houston provides these Halloween safety tips so you can have a safe and fun Halloween. If during the holiday season your home is harmed by Houston water damage, fire damage, or damage from a late season storm, call on us to start the cleanup process. We are available 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays.
About The Woodlands-Conroe SERVPRO
SERVPRO of The Woodlands-Conroe is Faster to Any Size Disaster, helping residential and commercial property owners when natural disasters, water damage, sewage backups, floods, fires, mold infestations, and other events happen.