The Woodlands and Conroe Home Care: What to Expect After a Fire
What To Expect After a Fire
One of the greatest human fears is off the unknown. Before stepping into your home after a natural disaster or fire, it is natural for your mind to wander into the worst-case scenario. Throughout the Houston area, countless families experience the devastating effects of damage to their home, and there are resources available to help you regain your footing, and assist you with the process. For The Woodlands and Conroe fire damage restoration, call SERVPRO to start the process of reclaiming and restoring your home.
1. Damage to walls, windows, and the roof. When firefighters are trying to knock down the fire, often they will have to break through walls and the roof, even in areas where there were no flames. Also, expect windows to be broken, either from the firefighters needing to gain access or from the heat of the fire. Remember, the structural damage can be easily repaired.
2. Damage to personal items and furniture throughout the home. In addition to the structural damage caused by the fire and firefighting, other items in your home will likely be damaged by the smoke and water. Many people are not prepared for the layers of muck throughout the home after a fire. Thankfully, with the proper tools and expertise, Houston SERVPRO can salvage and restore furniture, clothing, artwork, photographs, and other personal items. The key is to call us immediately; the sooner we start the better.
3. A strong odor. While the smell of smoke is expected after a house fire, many people are shocked by the acrid smell that permeates the air, clothing, and furniture. This odor can change and worsen over time if mold takes hold. It is imperative that proper cleaning commences as soon as possible.
4. Precious items may be lost. There is no getting around the fact that you will likely lose belongings that are valuable to you and your family. However, many things that may look damaged by water and smoke can be restored. Our team at The Woodlands-Conroe SERVPRO can quickly identify those that can be saved, and start the restoration process immediately.
5. Insurance claims will take longer than expected. The speed in which your homeowner’s insurance claim is processed is dependent upon your insurance company as well as your ability to provide an inventory of items destroyed or damaged. Hopefully, you have photos or videos of your home to help you create the inventory list; if not, visualize each room that was affected by the fire, and notate all the items that you can remember for your insurance claim filing. Keep in close contact with your insurance adjuster, and voice any concerns that you may have.
6. Emotions will be high. Losing a home to fire or a natural disaster is traumatic. While adults have to deal with the insurance, the cleaning, and restoration, as well as the financial implications, children have to deal with a fear for their personal safety. While it will affect everyone in the home in some way, children respond to disasters differently than adults. They may start to have nightmares, act out at school, or become withdrawn. Keep a close eye, and seek professional counseling to help them through this difficult time.
Finally, and most importantly, do not feel you have to recover from The Woodlands and Conroe Fire Damage alone. SERVPRO is proud to be a member of this community, and our team stands at the ready to assist you throughout the cleaning and fire restoration process. Call on us if disaster strikes; we are here to help you and your family get back into your home as quickly as possible.